News and Announcements forum

Capabilities of Climsoft Version 4, Climate Data Management System (CDMS)

Capabilities of Climsoft Version 4, Climate Data Management System (CDMS)

by Marcellin HABIMANA -
Number of replies: 11

Challenges with the previous version

The installation of previous versions of Climsoft was not easy to many Climsoft users due to indirect connection to the database, many Climsoft users experienced difficulties in setting up the connection to the MySQL back-end through ODBC. Previous versions of Climsoft were using MS Access to manage data stored in MySQL back-end database as well as user access control; the security features in MS Access were not very stringent. Users could easily gain access to the database through the back door, and there were issues that often developed with the security management system of MS Access that resulted in some users failing to log into the Climsoft system even with the correct username and password. The quality of graphical output (graphs, charts, plots etc...) and facility to manage paper archive were among the challenge in previous versions.

Solution

Climsoft version 4 brings the solutions to the issues of installation and system security since the installation of Climsoft V4 is now much easier largely because it has removed dependency to Microsoft Access by providing direct connection to the database, security is now managed efficiently at database level. User access privileges are now configured and controlled to the finest detail.

Management of images of paper records (paper archives) in support of Data Rescue was made possible in Climsoft version 4 (Images of paper records can be stored and retrieved on the fly to facilitate immediate checking of key in data against the handwritten observation paper records).

Capabilities of Climsoft Version 4 Climate Data Management System (CDMS) that make it suitable for use in many National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHS) are:

1. Sustainability

Climsoft is a free climate Data Management System (CDMS) built on the freely available open source tools such as Visual Studio, MySQL/MARIADB making it less costly to implement and maintain. After the initial training, users are able to continuously support Climsoft operations on their own;

2. Scalability

Climsoft can be implemented in a standalone computer at the observatory as well as in the server at the centralized database at the NMHS headquarters. It therefore allows connectivity between the observatories and the remote database server thereby facilitating data digitization right from the source. It works very well in a multi-user environment allowing many users to access the centralized climate database concurrently for different operations;

3. User Management, Operations Monitoring   and Quality of Data

Secure security access levels is guaranteed. It is easy to monitor data entered by different users, set a target for users to achieve and evaluate user work performance through Climsoft. It has got an elaborate key entry and post Key entry Quality Control (QC) functions;

4. Ingestion of data from Automatic Weather Station (AWS)

Climsoft automatically ingests data from Automatic Weather Stations (AWSs) on real time basis thereby making those observations to be available for weather forecasting purposes;

5. Data files Import and Export

Data files of different formats can be easily imported into ClimsoftIt can exports data in formats ready for use by many climate applications that include RCLIMDEX, CPT, GEOCLIM, INSTAT, ENACTS, etc.;

6. Message Encoding and Forwarding to Global Telecommunication System (GTS)

Climsoft encodes observations into weather messages according the WMO standards of Table Driven Code Forms (TDCF). It is capable of forwarding those encoded messages to the WMO GTS network;

7. Management of images of paper records (paper archives) in support of Data Rescue (DARE)

Images of paper records can be stores and retrieved on the fly to facilitate immediate checking of key in data against the handwritten observation paper records;

8. Climate Products

Climsoft produces the standard WMO climate products from the archived and quality controlled data.  The data inventory function is good and advanced (Ability to inventory available and missing data in both spreadsheet and graphical format);

9. Linkage to R - Instat Climate Analysis Tool

Climsoft interrogate very well with R - Instat to produce variety of climate summaries and reports (including wind rose, time series plots, trend analysis graphs, calculations of the start/ends of rain, length of the season, spell length (dry/wet), Data Inventory graphs, spatial distribution maps, Examine trend and quantify the evidence of climate change (global warming), rainfall variability, etc.);

10. Technical Support and Software Maintenance

It is very easy and cheaper to get technical support, software maintenance and training.

Many thanks,

Mr.Marcellin HABIMANA | Climsoft Project Coordinator | World Meteorological Organization, Eastern and Southern Africa, Dagoretti Corner, Ngong Road | P O Box 1395 - 00606 Nairobi, KENYA | E-mail: nhmarcellino@yahoo.fr |Skype: mhabimana | Tel:+250788740275/ +245716980451 | website:www.wmo.int

In reply to Marcellin HABIMANA

Re: Capabilities of Climsoft Version 4, Climate Data Management System (CDMS)

by Joan Mc Donald -

Greetings to the Climsoft Developers,

All the best wishes for the new year 2019!!

Is it recommended that an upgrade be done or new installation of version 4, on a processing unit with version 3  already installed (with various issues). I am wondering if high level IT personnel are needed to guide these installations.

Rest Regards,

Joan Mc Donald

In reply to Joan Mc Donald

by Marcellin HABIMANA -

Thanks Joan,

Happy New Year 2019!

The best way is to follow the link Climsoft version 4.1.2 and download the setup for Climsoft version 4.1.2 (either 32 or 64 bits) depending on the operating system your PC is using. Note that the setup for the upgrade (i.e. climsoftV4.1.2_upgrade.exe) is meant for those who have already installed Climsoft version 4 (i.e.version 4.1 or 4.1.1) because it is assumed they have already installed climsoft version 4 database on their system(PC).

For your case,you need the following:

1. Follow the ubove link and download the software and the user manual;

2. Follow the user manual and install Climsoft version 4 ( including running the database script to create climsoft version 4 database into MariaDB database application );

3. Import your metadata into Climsoft version 4;

4. Use the Backup facility in Climsoft version 3 to backup your data ( this process will create a backup file in csv format containing your data);

main_backup_data

5.  Load your data into Climsoft version 4  by choosing the icon Data TransferExternal Data ,Data Migration and select the option for CLIMSOFTV3 Backup (see below)

Backup climsoftV3 data

You don't need high level IT skills,just follow the steps in the user manual and everything will be right.

For more help don't hesitate to come back to us.

Many thanks,

Mr.Marcellin HABIMANA | Climsoft Project Coordinator | World Meteorological Organization, Eastern and Southern Africa, Dagoretti Corner, Ngong Road | P O Box 1395 - 00606 Nairobi, KENYA | E-mail: nhmarcellino@yahoo.fr | Skype: mhabimana | Tel:+250788740275 / +245716980451 | website:climsoft.org

by Joan Mc Donald -

Good evening Marcellino,

I followed your steps, got through importing stations table, element table and instrument information. Now doing schedule class (page 28) before station element as suggested. Is it safe to mix definitions in description, because there is no option to import the original schedule class table. Or are you suggesting that I go from importing metadata table to importing from version 3?

In that case the new option of picture entries would be done at a later stage.

I look forward to your response. 

Regards,

Joan Mc Donald

In reply to Joan Mc Donald

by Marcellin HABIMANA -

Very good.

You are progressing very well. Attached is a sample metadata file from Climsoft version 3.Make sure your metadata file from Climsoft V3 is in csv. The elements are pre-defined so no need to import the elements.The rest of the tabs can be inputs later (e.g. stationelement,instrument,etc.).The most important is to import the station details.

Is is possible to have a Skype so that I see clearly how you are getting on?my Skype address is shown below.

Regards,

Mr.Marcellin HABIMANA | Climsoft Project Coordinator | World Meteorological Organization, Eastern and Southern Africa, Dagoretti Corner, Ngong Road | P O Box 1395 - 00606 Nairobi, KENYA | E-mail: nhmarcellino@yahoo.fr | Skype: mhabimana | Tel:+250788740275 / +245716980451 | website:climsoft.org

by Ananda Jayasinghearachchi -
Dear Habimana,

I installed Climsoft V 4.1.2 successfully , and uploaded the meta data info also. But I couldnt transfer data to Ver 4 from Ver 3.2 , using back up option. I created the back csv file, and it was saved in Bin folder ( Ver 3). When I was trying to transfer data to Ver 4 , error message appeared.

Access to the path " C:\Program files (x86)\ClimsoftV4\Bin\Data\ClimsoftBackup.csv" is denied.

Initially there was no " Data" folder in "Bin" folder in Ver 4. Therefore, I created data folder. (without data folder in bin folder , nothing showed in messages box, even error message.)

Please help.

Best Regards

Ananda
In reply to Ananda Jayasinghearachchi

by Marcellin HABIMANA -
Thanks Ananda,
Happy to hear from you, I think you are in a good track.
I am suggesting you the following:
1. It looks like you did not give the user full permission to read and write to the climsoftV4 folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\ClimsoftV4): I suggest you to follow the link: Guide_ClimsoftV4_Quick_Installation (page 17-16) and see how this is done;
2. Please, follow the link: ClimsoftV4_User_Manual (chap8, point 8.1: on how to transfer backup data from V3 to V4 (Data migration).
Please, try the above and let me know the progress.
All the best and keep in touch,
Mr.Marcellin HABIMANA | Climsoft Project Coordinator | World Meteorological Organization, Regional Office for Eastern and Southern Africa, Dagoretti Corner, Ngong Road | P O Box 1395 - 00606 Nairobi, KENYA | E-mail: nhmarcellino@yahoo.fr | Skype: mhabimana | Tel:+250788740275 / +245716980451 | website:climsoft.org

Dear Habimana,

I checked user permission and  seems to be OK. Problem is still there. I will send you the screen shot of the properties box.

BR

Ananda

by Marcellin HABIMANA -
Thanks,
Yes,I can see permission is OK.
Have you loaded the script to create Climsoft database following guidance in the video or manual?
Please,let me know.
Mr.Marcellin HABIMANA | Climsoft Project Coordinator | World Meteorological Organization, Regional Office for Eastern and Southern Africa, Dagoretti Corner, Ngong Road | P O Box 1395 - 00606 Nairobi, KENYA | E-mail: nhmarcellino@yahoo.fr | Skype: mhabimana | Tel:+250788740275 / +245716980451 | website:climsoft.org

Thanks for quick response. Yes, I loaded the script to create Climsoft datadabase in MariaDB, as in pages 15, 16 in the manual. It was success and databases were created.

Ananda

Hi Habimana,

Thanks for guidance. I was able to transfer data from V3 to V4, after selecting the correct user and giving permission.

BR

Ananda

by Marcellin HABIMANA -
Great to hear you managed to transfer successfully your data from Climsoft version 3 to Climsoft version 4.
Please,don't hesitate to come back to me for further help.
Keep in touch,